Don’t you agree? It’s hard to decide what’s the best part of this card…
- Maybe the soft and swirly background?
- Or the almost perfect two-step stamping?
- Perhaps the sparkly detailed die cut?
- Or just the clean and simple feel of the overall card?
Karen’s used a technique that’s been around for awhile…that’s undergone a little facelift recently. Using shaving cream and her stamp pads, she swirled the ink and cream together on an acrylic block, then “painted” it onto Shimmery White cardstock with a palette knife. We used to create a whole pan of coloured shaving cream with re-inkers, then dunked our paper into it and scraped it off. This is a bit more precise – and maybe even a tad less messy! She got her inspiration from Kim Jolley who designed this “Not Your Mother’s Saving Cream Technique”.
The results are exceptional. And what’s even better? A much more fun use for shaving cream! makes it easy to create a bunch of backgrounds to put into your stash of ready-mades.
Using these as backgrounds makes card making so much easier. Karen simply stamped the solid image leaf from Colourful Seasons in Pear Pizzazz, then over-stamped the detailed image in Old Olive to create the veins. (Psst, this is a breeze with two-step stamps!) Her last touch was die cutting a Pear Pizzazz leaf and swiping her Wink of Stella over it for some extra glimmer.
Here are some of Karen’s tips:
- Make sure you use shaving cream, not gel
- Use your acrylic block like a stamp in tap it into one colour, then apply cream on top (Karen used blocks B and C)
- Mix up your colour and cream with the palette knife, almost like you’re icing a cake
- Although you can use other paper to apply the cream on, the Shimmery White gives a subtle and pretty sheen
- Smear the cream on your cardstock
- Have LOTS of paper towels handy to wipe off the shaving cream (and maybe even a bowl of water to rinse the blocks)
- Feel free to go over a section more than once if you want more depth of colour
Need a few supplies? Here’s everything Karen used for her beautiful card.
You Can Make It Too
I love receiving cards from friends I can feature on my Front and Centre Friday. It’s amazing how creative everyone is. Just take a look at Crystal’s and Doreen’s to see the variety. To have your card showcased, simply send it to me at Box 911, Blackfalds, AB Canada T0M0J0. (I’m always excited when they feature current Stampin’ Up! supplies and product.) Who knows – maybe you’ll be inspired and try a much more fun use for shaving cream!