Newbie or “seasoned” paper crafters unite, let’s start painting watercolour pencils Bird Banter cards! Whether you’re just starting out in your stamping journey or you’ve been at it for years, you’ll want to make sure you have a set of Stampin’ Up! watercolour pencils in your stash for simply designed, but colourful cards like this one.
Cute right? The Bird Banter set in the Occasions catalogue is right up there for versatility. With 12 images and 7 greetings, you’ll use it for a TON of different designs. Birthdays, thank you, friends, thinking of you pop to mind right away! Let’s see the whole set.
Don’t you think every bird in this set has personality galore?
I chose to keep everything in the Brights palette to make it easy for colour coordination. (And if you don’t have all the colours of card stock, you can get a starter pack of all the Brights colours below at a great price!)
Why do I think Stampin’ Up! watercolour pencils a must-have in every paper crafter’s toolbox? Let me count the ways…
- Ease. I’ll bet practically everyone can colour. So let’s do it more!
- Non-intimidating. Even if we’ve moved on to markers, Stampin’ Blends and watercolours, there’s nothing like a good old-fashioned coloured pencil!
- Versatility. Watercolour pencils can be left dry (coloured only). Or add water to liven up the colours and get different looks.
- Cost. With so many colouring options, watercolour pencils are one of the least expensive (just $21 a set, only $1.62 a pencil!)
- Variety. You can easily achieve bold – or soft – colour to suit your card – and your mood.
- Coordination: Our 13 pencils match Stampin’ Up! colours so rest assured you will have coordination at your fingertips!
- Colour possiblities: Colour blending is a snap so your colour possibilities are almost endless.
- Portability. 13 little pencils in a light and easy-to-carry case will tuck in just about anywhere.
- Simplicity. Your add-on supplies are practically non-existent! Just a blender pen (like I used for today’s project) or an Aqua Painter is all you need (TIP1: pre-stamp your images first and take them with you in a clear envelope)
- Stress relief. (and who doesn’t need a little of that?) Enuf said.
So let’s get to the particulars so you can start this painting watercolour pencils bird banter card yourself.
- Very Vanilla card stock – 3 1/2” x 4 1/2”
- Real Red card stock – 5 1/2” x 8 1/2”, scored at 4 1/4”
- Pacific Point card stock – 4” x 5 1/4”
- Daffodil Delight card stock – 3 3/4” x 4 3/4”
- Birthday Memories designer paper (stripes ) – 2” x 5 1/4”
- Stamp branch in Early Espresso stamp pad on lower centre of Very Vanilla card stock
- Use Archival Basic Black to stamp parrot and cockatiel on left and right of branch
- Stamp words along bottom left
- Colour birds completely in desired colours
- Paint and blend colour with blender pen
- Add small bit of Wink of Stella to cockatiel’s breast and parrot’s wing (optional but adds just a hint of something unexpected)
- Layer all card pieces together with SNAIL
Don’t be afraid to blend your different colours of pencils for deeper colour, different colour and subtle shading. For instance, my parrot’s breast is Old Olive with Daffodil Delight then Pacific Point on top. And his beak is Daffodil Delight with Pumpkin Pie then Real Red on the tip.
OK, now it’s your turn to colour and paint this bright and fun card for a friend. Have you got the watercolour pencils and haven’t used them for a bit? Go get ‘em! Or if you need to pick some up, I’ve got all the supplies listed here so you can get busy with this card yourself. Thanks so much for shopping with me!
How About a Painting Watercolours Bird Banter Card?
For another totally different look with your Stampin’ Up! watercolour pencils, see my photo tutorial for this colourful congrats card.
Here’s a final peek.
Do you have any “colourful” friends who would love to receive this card? I’m lucky enough to have a few friends that fit the “colourful” definition, so this card will be in the mail to them soon!
Get out your tools and whip some up today! This painting watercolour pencils Bird Banter card is a fun surprise they’ll LOVE to get in the mail!