It’s always fun to celebrate a new arrival with a cute handmade girl baby card! This one today is absolutely adorable! It uses the ultra sweet cracked egg from the Hey Chick stamp set, my favourite set from the 2017 Sale-a-bration items, NO LONGER AVAILABLE after today! Take a closer look then I’ll share how I made it!
Really, isn’t it simply darling? Who wouldn’t be thrilled with such a simple, clean and classic baby card? I would challenge anyone to not immediately smile when they open the envelope!
While this one definitely says “girl baby” to me, if you switched up the pink with a light green or yellow, it would be just perfect for a baby boy too. I’ve left off any type of bling as I wanted to keep it soft and simple. The stitched pink circle matting the egg and the little linen thread tied in a bow are just enough to dress it up.
Circles and dots are always in style and it’s easy to create your own designer paper! Here rather than stamping circles, I created my own “handmade” paper with punched out circles glued onto Whisper White card stock. Keep reading to see where I’ve provided you with the full steps to make it yourself!
Although it’s very light here, there is subtle shading on the egg to give her some dimension.
Here are the steps to achieve the shadowing look:
- I first stamped the egg in Basic Black Archival ink so it wouldn’t smear when I started to colour it. (TIP: You will have much better results when you use a little heavier weight for any type of water colouring – here I’ve used Shimmery White. Another choice would have been watercolour paper.)
- Then I used my Basic Grey watercolour pencil and very lightly coloured along the left inside edge, and just a little to the left of his feet,
- For the final step on the egg, I softened the pencil lines very lightly with a Blender Pen. (TIP: use a light touch so as not to pill the paper.)
- I coloured her legs and feet with my Pumpkin Pie watercolour pencil using a heavier hand and I didn’t blend that colour at all since I wanted it a bit more vibrant.
I continued the same theme inside my card my homemade dotted paper. You can more easily see in this photo I used two sizes of punch for some added interest, the 3/4″ and the 1″ punches.
Want to know the steps I followed to create my background paper?
- cut a strip of Whisper White paper (my outside piece is 2 1/2″ x 4 1/4″ and the inside piece is 1 1/2″ x 5″)
- punch out your circles in three colours and two different sizes
- arrange the circles in a pattern you like, making sure to go off the edges in several places
- glue down the circles (Tip: liquid glue is great for this rather than SNAIL)
- turn piece UPSIDE down and cut along edge where circles extend
- adhere onto matching piece of card stock (mine is a piece of Pink Pirouette 1/8″ bigger)
And don’t forget about the envelope! I added the same circles and dots to the back using the exact same process! You will have a perfectly coordinated card and envelope…hmmm, you could even take it further and design your own gift bag and wrapping paper! Oh the possibilities!
You Can Make It Too!
Have a fabulous time being crafty and creating your own handmade paper. Switch up your colours or stamps while focusing on simple and classic, clean lines. Then have even more fun welcoming your new baby into your family or circle of friends with a unique and cute handmade baby girl card!