OK, today’s all about faux mirror stamping and die cutting and why you need to try it! I happened on this technique when I was playing with the Cup of Tea bundle but there are lots more I think it will work with too!
Look how striking this design is in this bright Poppy Parade and Basic White and Black!
What stands out the most for you on this card?
I think maybe the two tea cups? They look pretty much the same, but they’re not!
One is a stamped image, cropped with a matching shape die. And the other is a detailed teacup die glued onto a second shape die.
And here’s why I think you need to try it! When you’re stamping a couple images like these cups, the handles are all going in the same direction! But when you use the reverse image of the die cut, you instantly get a more varied look!
So more versatility! Which means saving moola! Two things absolutely key for me in paper crafting!
What You Need for This Technique
- a stamp
- a matching shaped die to cut out the stamped image
- a detailed die similar to the stamped image
- a die cutting machine
Faux Mirror Stamping and Die Cutting
Here are some tips to give this technique a try!
- Look for a bundle with a stamp and die that very closely match, but are not exactly the same.
- Stamp onto fun or pretty designer series paper or make your own alcohol background paper (more on that later) with an ink that will stand out (I used StazOn Jet Black as I was stamping onto vellum); cut out the stamped image with the shape die.
- Cut another shape from the same patterned paper but put the die on the OPPOSITE side of the paper
- Crop the coordinating detailed die in a matching colour (Basic Black for me) and glue it REVERSE side down onto the second shaped diecut TIP: add an adhesive sheet to the back first if it’s an intricate, detailed die like this one
I glued both my teacups onto a piece of crisp Basic White embossed with one of the Eucalyptus embossing folders so they’d really stand out!
If you’d like to learn how to make these cool alcohol backgrounds, I demonstrated an intro in this Facebook Live exclusively for my VIPeeps community of crafters! Have you joined yet? Do it right now with a click here!
Or if you’d like a more in depth and detailed class, I’ve got just the thing with my Alcohol Backgrounds for Card Makers online class!
Give It a Try!
I know you’ll find this technique fun and rewarding. And I bet you have more than one set of dies and stamps to make one right now!
Here are a couple suggestions of current sets that might also work fabulously!
So go ahead and give this a try. I predict you’re going to see and love faux mirror stamping and die cutting!