When you want to create something just a bit different and a notch above, why not make dimensional cards with stickers and die cuts? It’s one more way to create one-of-a-kind greetings using bundles from the Stampin’ Up! catalogue. Score some of the new Eastern Gold Vinyl Stickers with the bucks you save on the bundled stamps and dies! Take a peek at my classic thinking of you card.
Don’t you love how the black, grey and white work together? I really love how it turned out. And that centre flower? It’s a nice heavy weight sticker that fits perfectly inside one of the Eastern Medallion thinlits dies. But wait! Didn’t I say gold vinyl stickers? Yup, I’m pretty sure I did. Well, one super neat thing about these stickers is they are silver on the back. So with a little creativity, you can get double the value out of them! I’ll tell you how in a bit! Let’s take a closer look at the card first.
You can make dimensional cards with stickers and die cuts too using a few elements working together:
- silver fabulous foil designer acetate in behind the cut out circular medallion catches your eye
- thinlits dies that only partially cut the centre flower so you can pop up the petals
- ribbon “swooshed” behind the sentiment panel adds variety
- a trio of rhinestones along the bottom balance the card nicely
So now the technique…how did I get a gold foil sticker to be silver? It’s pretty simple actually. Here are the steps:
- turn the gold sticker sheet over
- place the “flower” die over the silver image and run through the Big Shot to cut it out
- cut out the “flower” die a second time from Whisper White
- use a glue dot in the centre to attach the silver cut out to the Whisper White
Since the sticker sheet is pretty sturdy, the one glue dot is all you need to have the sticker stay in place! You can fan out the petals a little bit and it still stays stuck. No one will even know they’re not glued to the white unless they play with it a bit!
Here’s the recipe for my layered medallion from bottom to top:
- fabulous foil acetate cut from the largest scalloped circle
- large circle medallion die cut from Basic Grey card stock, then…
- largest scalloped circle to cut out the medallion
- white “flower” die cut
- silver sticker “flower”
The hardest part was actually not the sticker at all but making sure my medallion was centred in the large scalloped circle. But I had used the very same technique on my hugs card a couple days ago. So I remembered I had pulled out a piece of washi tape to hold it in place when I ran it through the Big Shot. Problem solved!
If you want to play around yourself with this technique, here is everything I used. Simply click on the image to take you to my online store.
You Can Make It Too
This is only one way you can use stickers to create a dimensional card. With the Eastern Gold vinyl stickers, you get four sheets packed full of nested designs. Some will fit perfectly in an Eastern Medallion thinlits die like my card shows. Or you can use them on their own to build fun and original designs. Either way, you won’t run out of options to make dimensional cards with stickers and die cuts anytime soon!