Today I want to show you a simple DIY card to say hello to someone special in your life. In classic colours like brown and blue, I’ve played with the collage technique.
Let’s take a peek at our card.
I was quite happy with how this card turned out. It’s simple, was fast and I like the earthy feel of it.
I have to admit I’m not really a fantastic collage card maker. In fact several years ago, before I learned what collage really was, I made one that was a dismal failure! I quickly learned what doesn’t make a collage card work!
What Collage Cards are NOT!
- ones with so many layers, they won’t fit in a regular envelope
- a card that weighs more than your favourite paper punch
- cards with every piece of handmade paper, embellishment and memorabilia you can find in your stash attached
- ones that have so much glue, they are stiff and maybe even sticky!
Let’s take a closer peek and see how this one is clean and simple – and still classed as collage.
Simple DIY Card to Say Hello
What Is Collage?
Collage is simply a work of art where several elements are brought together onto one piece. That can mean, papers, trinkets, keepsakes, ribbon all glued together to form something new.
Or in this case, I’ve used stamps, a piece of ribbon, designer paper and a label to build a classy card with a collage feel.
The designer paper is called In Good Taste and it’s a mega package! 24 sheets of textures like carpet, woodgrain and tile are wonderful!
What Stamps Did I Use?
The Tasteful Touches stamp set is ideal for this kind of card. The stamps are detailed yet soft once they are stamped. The stamp images also all work together for a collage-y feel.
This is one of my favourite sets in this year’s Annual Catalogue and one that is quite versatile. Why?
- You can make so many special cards quickly and easily.
- The designs work for both males and females.
- Each image can be used individually or together like I have on today’s card.
- The font on the greetings is gorgeous.
- Such a variety of sentiments for lots of different occasions.
A Couple Collage Card Making Tips
- Choose a stamp set with images with “soft” edges and feel – stamps in the Artistic Expression section on page 108-139 would make excellent choices)
- work with colours in the neutral palette (I used Night of Navy, Gray Granite and Sahara Sand)
- stick to a maximum of three different colours
- ink your stamp, then stamp off at least once on a scrap piece of paper, then stamp onto your cardstock
- don’t be afraid to stamp one stamp image over another
- choose classic lines in your dies and paper shapes and
- if you’re just starting out with collage, limit the number of embellishments on your card.
Give the Inside Some Love Too
Don’t forget to add some touches to the inside of your card too. A corner element still leaves lots of room for writing your message.
Now It’s Your Turn!
I’ll bet you have some stamps in your supplies that would work equally well for collage cards. Pull some out, with a few coordinating ink colours and give them a try.
Or if you’d like to use the exact supplies I have and you live in Canada, click on any image or the “Add All to Cart” button below.
Thanks so much for choosing to shop with me!Supplies
Would You Try Collage?
It’s exciting to give a new technique a try. I’m curious if you think this is something for you. Leave me a comment and let me know!
Click here to leave a comment.
Whether you think collage is for you or not, saying hello to a good friend or family member is for everyone! A simple DIY card to say hello like this one is a great way to connect!