Have you heard the news – the absolutely brand new, ultra cool alcohol markers, Stampin’ BLENDS available tomorrow? You’ve probably been surfing on Pinterest or YouTube the last few days. So you’ve probably seen the LOADS of videos and samples abounding with gorgeous shading and colouring. And you’ve probably been drooling. Me too!
While looking at samples is fun and almost as great as getting in there and creating for yourself, let’s talk about how you can be a colour blending artist! Since the BLENDS are the latest and greatest from Stampin’ Up!, today I’m sharing my recommended options with you for giving them a try! But before we get to that, why not take a look at this beautifully blended birthday card.
Pretty awesome colour blending don’t you think? As a side note, isn’t it hard to believe this is the first time I’m showcasing this set? Because I’ve only had it since August LOL! I guess it likely got lost in my (ahem!) rather large stash of stamps! Does that ever happen to you? Regardless, when I thought about colouring with my new BLENDS, this set instantly popped to mind!
So you probably read Sunday’s blog post so you already know I’m first and foremost, a BEGINNER alcohol marker artist. Even so, these are ULTRA easy – not to mention super FUN – to use. (However, I found a couple tips helpful to get started which I’ll share with you tomorrow.) Stampin’ Up! makes it very easy – even for us beginners – with only a light and a dark marker in each colour.
Take a closer look at the gorgeous colours, the velvety soft finish and the seamless blending I could achieve in just a few quick minutes.
So I mentioned before why I never got into the Copic marker craze. They’re just too expensive, there’s WAAAY too many colours and there was no coordination with Stampin’ Up!’s colour families. And as much as I love to colour, I managed to steer clear.
But while I wasn’t bitten by the alcohol marker bug before, I think it’s safe to say, I’m now converted to an alcohol marker fanatic! Let me tell you why.
- There are only 10 colours and two neutrals. This smaller colour choice has been very carefully made by the artists at Stampin’ Up! so you can still make projects for all kinds of seasons, holidays and images.
- You absolutely DO NOT need an art degree to get beautiful results – quickly.
- The Color Lifter, Bronze and Ivory markers are offered separately and provide all kinds of additional blended colours for skin tones. I think the Color Lifter is a MUST HAVE because of the different effects you can achieve.
- You might remember Stampin’ Up! brought out the Blendabilities a couple years ago? There were three markers in each colour family and you could only buy them in a package of three. This time, Stampin’ Up! is offering each marker individually, or as a combo so if you go GAGA over the Light Pool Party and use it up (it should take you quite awhile to do that though!), you can get a single marker to replace it. Smarter, right?
- Stampin’ Up! very rigorously tested these BLENDS to ensure there are no issues with the lid fit. I think this is a super important feature so the alcohol doesn’t dry out.
- The marker tips release loads of saturated colour easily with either the larger brush tip or the smaller bullet tip.
So with Stampin’ BLENDS available tomorrow, how do I recommend you get started? (Since I know you’re not all like ME and want to jump in with both feet first! Or maybe you do. See option 3 below if that’s the case!)
1. “Let Me Give These Things A Try” Option: You’ll pick 2 colours, 2 Light neutrals and the Color Lifter
I would choose both the light and dark markers in each colour. These 7 markers are a great selection to get you going and you can easily blend and shade with the 2 light neutrals (Smoky Slate and Crumb Cake).
Now how do you decide on your colours? Pick your favourites…or pick ones that will work for the seasons. For example, seeing as Christmas is just around the bend, perhaps you’ll find Cherry Cobbler and Old Olive are perfect choices for you. (Bonus: The red will work for Valentine’s too!)
Or if you’re more the winter and snowflake scene type person, perhaps picking Soft Sky and Pool Party is more your style. TIP: Go ahead and use these with Light Smoky Slate for crisp and “cool” cards.
2. “BLENDS Baker’s Dozen” Option: You’ll pick 4 colours, as well as both neutrals in Light and Dark and the Color Lifter. You’ll have 13 markers with some pretty great variety. I might start with the colours I suggested for the first option above, then add in a yellow and pink. I suggest yellow since it adds a huge amount of life to your colouring (my background on today’s card for instance). Also I like pink since it’s great for skin tones, Valentine’s and adds more subtle tones to Cherry Cobbler.
3. “I Gotta Have ‘Em All” Option!: You are definitely a gal (or guy) after my own heart! You won’t be disappointed with this full meal deal. Your blending options go through the roof with the full set of 26 markers and the Color Lifter. (And you know what? The full set ALSO makes a fabulous Christmas present. So start hinting to your significant other RIGHT NOW!)
No matter which option you choose, first of all you’ll want to pick up a Tuxedo Black Memento stamp pad to stamp your images. The Basic Black Archival or StazOn will not work well, especially StazOn because it’s also made with alcohol ink (so it will run once you start to colour). Finally I would recommend a pack of the Thick Whisper White card stock as a good solid paper choice. And basically that’s all you need.
So what do I suggest you do now?
- decide which option is right for you.
- (if it’s 3 give me a shout!) If it’s option 1 or 2, decide which are your MUST HAVE colours.
- give me a shout!
Want to know the colours I used in my birthday card? I used Light and Dark Daffodil Delight, Light and Dark Old Olive, Light Smoky Slate, Light Rich Razzleberry and Light Navy as well as the Color Lifter. Let’s take another peek.
Here are the supplies to make this card yourself. Simply click on the image (BLENDS to be updated Nov 1st) so your order will ship directly to you – no middleman – me!!
You Can Make It Too
If you’re an avid colourer like me, I bet you’ve been waiting for Stampin’ Up!’s alcohol markers for a long time. Stampin’ BLENDS are your solution to making perfectly coordinated handmade paper crafts with SU! paper, ribbons and embellishments. And you won’t be disappointed whichever option you choose. But first, put some thought into your decision so you’ll be able to get your Stampin’ BLENDS available tomorrow!