Today I’m thrilled to share 3 tips for a Christmas gatefold handmade card that’s unforgettable!
Sometimes I think the gatefold fun fold gets a little lonely! It’s been around for quite awhile and with all the more intricate folds out and about, it gets forgotten.
Well, let me give you some tips so it becomes UNforgettable and is a staple in your card making repertoire!
Anyone on your holiday cards list is going to flip over this beauty! You can never beat the time proven mix of white, red and green for Christmas.
Plus, throw in a little bit of glitz with the Rose Gold ribbon for a touch of romance!
3 Tips for a Christmas Gatefold Handmade Card
I shared lots of tips for gatefolds in these earlier blog posts. So today I want to give you some hints for adding something unexpected to these fun designs.
Jo’s Tips for Gatefold Cards that are Unforgettable
- Turn it on its edge. Typically you see a gatefold card in a portrait orientation. Click to see this patterned paper gatefold fall greetings to see the difference from today’s. These are perfectly lovely, but why not switch it up a bit for some variety? Plus when you do this, you get a great stand-up option you can see below.
- Add a sharply contrasted colour. Each colour in this design contributes to the entire pulled-together card. The greens and white are picked directly from the Lovely in Linen DSP (yes, surprising isn’t it – it’s not even a Christmas paper!). Real Red adds a complete contrast and the greeting just POPS off the page!
- Inset labels for extra oomph without the bulk. We’ve got 8 different layers on our design today! (Yup, that’s a lot!) But when you inset the largest label right into the design, it lies quite a bit flatter! Here’s how: Run the DSP through the Stampin’ Cut & Emboss machine with the largest Seasonal Labels die. Then also cut one out from Real Red cardstock. Glue the DSP to the Evening Evergreen panel, then glue the Real Red label into the hole in the DSP!
Add a couple more ideas to bring your gatefold card to life:
- inset a strip of shiny ribbon in between the labels running from one edge of the card to another
- select different shaped labels to layer together
- keep your embellishments to a minimum when you have such a busy background paper
Bring BACK the Gatefold Cards!
Let’s all make a pact to bring the gatefold back from feeling lonely. There are so many occasions, themes and holidays where it will be the star of the show!
For instance, easily turn today’s card into a fall card! All you need to do is pick your fave fall DSP and coordinate the colours with your labels. Instant autumn!
Check out all the supplies I used by simply clicking on this list you can print, pin or order from. It’s a great way to save projects you love to make at a later time!
If you’d like to learn a bit more about fun fold cards that are easy to make (yes, really!), take a peek at my Fun Folds Online Class!
This is one of the BEST things about a gatefold card in this orientation! Imagine how amazing your own design will look on your friends’ mantles this Christmas!
I hope you enjoyed learning a bit more about how you can create a tried-and-true fun fold card with a bit more pizzazz!
And you know what? Even if you only take ONE of my 3 tips for a Christmas gatefold handmade card that’s unforgettable, you’re going to have a fantastic design.