What an ideal time of year to say thank you with a handmade card! In our technologically-advanced world, isn’t it easy to reach for our phone or computer to send a quick thank you?
Yup, been there, done that!
But what if you sent an honest-to-goodness, hand made, fresh from your stamping desk piece of MAIL to express your gratitude – either instead of, or in addition to, that message?
I know! What a novel idea! LOL!!
How about a card like this one?
Be sure to keep reading so you can pick up my top TIPS on how to make this one filled with good vibes and fresh fun.
Before we go any further, I want to make sure I haven’t given you the wrong impression.
I’m not downplaying the fact you DID send a thank you message. Nope, not at all.
There are so many times when gratitude isn’t expressed – ever! So good on ya!
But just imagine the grin on their face when they open that envelope and see your handmade design, just for them! Or the little tingle of pleasure they enjoy every time they glance at it on the mantle?
What a wonderful feeling for both of you!
Say Thank You with a Handmade Card
Now that it’s the end of December, isn’t it great to craft with colours that aren’t Christmas-y?
So I chose a fresh springlike palette for this design, Add a touch of whimsy with Flirty Flamingo, So Saffron, and Granny Apple Green, colours you might find in a real flower.
Grab a few of my design and technique tips to add some charm to your own thank you cards.
4+ Tips for a Fun Design
- Lay-er it on. Do you see all the layers on this one? How many did you count? Five cardstock layers plus a ribbon knot and some embellishments. The TIPS and tricks to not having them get too bulky? Use smaller pieces of paper and use glue, not dimensionals (only the black and white panel has dimensionals to adhere it).
- Mix it up with light and dark. Although the black panel is dark, the white embossing and white greeting label perk it up hugely. Never be afraid to bring in some black even when you have spring-like colours like these ones to really add some drama. (TIP: Stamp the Timeless Tiles background stamp with the Stamparatus to get full coverage, even if you have to stamp multiple times.)
- Play up the textures. Remember when you were a kid and you wanted to wear every colour and pattern in your closet…on one day? It was fun right? So rather than have matchy-matchy backgrounds and patterns, think like that young fashionista again! Try the dry embossed Flirty Flamingo Gingham panel, with the fabulous Timeless Tiles stamp and the little So Saffron and Flirty stamped crosses. Tie it together with a piece of your colour-blocked gingham ribbon.
- Craft the unexpected! It’s really hard to tell on this tiled panel, but I brushed on Granny Apple Green, Daffodil Delight and Flirty Flamingo after I heat embossed the white. In real life, just a tinge of each colour remains, and adds just a little “something” to draw you in closer.
- Bonus Tip! That’s also why I chose a Granny Apple green large greeting! It pulls it all together.
I love sharing tips to help you add more personality to your paper crafting. And to save you time and get fabulous results!
And while we’re on the subject of thank you cards, why not give these 5 tips to create amazing thank you cards in less time a try!
Make Them Grin!
You can use just about any theme you’d like for thank you’s. A mix of textures like you see on my card, winter snowflakes, spring or summer flowers, cute critters…whatever you want to play with right this minute!
Here are all the supplies I used – click on this list that you can print, pin or order from. Thank you so much for choosing to shop with Stampin’ Up! through my site.
One last tip? Send out your card as soon as you make it. Address and stamp the envelope at the same time, ad your own words of thanks and walk it over to the post box.
When you do, you’ll not only say thank you with a handmade card to those who thought of you with a gift over Christmas, you’ll feel a huge sense of accomplishment and anticipation – for the grin they’ll make when they open it!